Tag: organic products
Identifying genuine organic products can be challenging because there are many products on the market that claim to be organic but may not meet the strict standards set by certifying organizations. However, there are several ways to help ensure that the products you purchase are truly organic.
The first step is to look for certifications on the product. In the United States, the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) is responsible for setting the standards and certifying organic products. Products that have been certified by the NOP will have the USDA Organic seal on the packaging. In addition to the NOP, there are also other certifying organizations such as the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI), the International Organic Accreditation Service (IOAS), and the Quality Assurance International (QAI), that certify organic products.
In addition to looking for certifications, it’s also a good idea to read the ingredient list on the product. Organic products are made with ingredients that are grown and processed without the use of synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs). If a product contains a long list of ingredients, many of which you can’t pronounce, it’s likely not organic.
Another way to identify genuine organic products is to look for the country of origin. Many products that are labeled as organic are imported from other countries, where standards for organic production may not be as strict as they are in the United States. If a product is labeled as organic but doesn’t have a country of origin or is from a country with lower standards, it’s best to be cautious.
Another tip is to purchase products directly from the farmer or a local co-op. This way, you can ask questions and get information about the growing methods and certifications. Visiting a farm or co-op and seeing the farming practices in person is one of the best ways to ensure that the products you’re buying are truly organic.
Lastly, it’s important to be aware of the different labeling terms that are used on products. “Natural” and “made with organic ingredients” are not the same as “organic.” “Natural” is not a regulated term and can be used on any product, while “made with organic ingredients” means that minimum 70% of ingredients are organic, while the remaining 30% are not. Only products labeled “100% organic” or “organic” meet the strict standards set by certifying organizations.
In conclusion, identifying genuine organic products can be a challenging task. However, by looking for certifications, reading the ingredient list, checking for the country of origin, purchasing products directly from the farmer or a local co-op, and being aware of the different labeling terms, you can increase your chances of finding truly organic products. Remember that organic products may cost a little more, but they are worth the investment for your health and the environment.